Get Started in Graphic Design
Graphic Design is a two-year, lockstep program that leads to an Associate of Applied Science Degree and a strong employment outlook. It focuses not only on fundamental design skills, but it also integrates emerging technologies and keeps students current by continually evolving and responding to industry needs and standards.
Entry into the program is competitive. New students are only admitted for Fall Quarter, which ensures the development of a tight cohort for the duration of the program..
- Be eligible for Math 081 Pre-Algebra and English 101 Composition. To show that you meet these requirements, you can either take a placement test or provide transcripts from any previously attended accredited institution(s).
Steps to Enroll
- Attend a Graphic Design Information Session or contact the department for more information (strongly recommended).
- Complete the 5-Step Enrollment Process for Seattle Central College, which includes submitting an application and placement for classes (testing and/or transcript evaluation).
- Once you have been admitted and have evidence that you have met the eligibility requirements, meet with an Academic Advisor to receive a form authorizing you to be placed on an Approved List.
- Take the form to the Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences Division in room BE4128 and request to set up your program file. We will hold this file pending your portfolio passing a Portfolio Review at which point you will be put on the Approved List. You cannot be placed on the Approved List without an established program file.
- Students wishing to enter the program must submit an entrance portfolio that will be evaluated by faculty members in the Graphic Design program.
- Once your entrance portfolio has been approved, you have completed the application process for the Graphic Design program. Your name will be added to the list at the next update.
Portfolio Review Dates
Portfolios due to Division office in room BE4128 by 4:00 p.m. If you live out of town, your portfolio should be mailed to: Seattle Central Creative Academy, Attn: Graphic Design Portfolios, 1701 Broadway, BE4128, Seattle, WA 98122. Please also include a pre-paid self-addressed envelope for its safe return.
Fall 2016: Due between 10/31 – 11/4/16
Winter 2017: Due between 2/6 – 02/10/17
Spring 2017: Due between 5/8 – 05/12/17
Summer 2017: Due between 7/24 – 7/27/17
Prospective students on the Approved List will be contacted by U.S. mail late in Spring Quarter and notified of an Enrollment Meeting, which will occur in early June. During the Enrollment Meeting the program will be filled in the order applicants were placed on the Approved List. If the program reaches capacity before we are able to offer you a position, you will be invited to declare your wish to remain available to fill any late openings, or defer to the following year. At that time no further process will be necessary, however, you will be required to attend the enrollment meeting again the following year.
Note: it is your responsibility to inform us if your contact information changes. Please inform the Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences Division directly in writing or by email. Notice of the Spring enrollment meeting is done once by first class regular mail only.
Students on the Approved List may defer entry by one year with a written or email request to the Division Office. This can be done only one time.
Students in these programs incur significant additional costs for tools and supplies. We advise prospective students to make financial plans accordingly while waiting to enter the program.
If you have questions about enrolling in the Graphic Design degree program, contact us for more information.